Taking New Perspectives Instead of Resolutions

It's been a long semester, but I passed all my classes and Girl Up is finally established at Pitt! After a much needed break and an even more needed coffee date with my older sister, I'm finally back to blogging. She and I went to a small bake shop called Cross Roads Bakery in Doylestown, PA. She wanted to go so that I can try the coffee they serve at the place she works back in Princeton. The Small World Coffee that I got this morning was totally worth nearly getting lost - it's so smooth for a medium roast!

Anyway, I can't remember a year where I didn't have a New Year's Resolution that I inevitably gave up on within the first two months of the year. There is a reason that things such as gym memberships and fitness classes are usually cheaper in January: to appeal to and enable us to explore the desire to improve ourselves, and also allowing us to burn some of our holiday bonuses.

It seems like resolutions never worked for me, and I think it's because I'm never great with following through with distinct goals: goals like "lose 10 pounds" or "go to the gym every day" definitely work for some. This year, I'm trying something new: I want to take perspectives and ideas that I have been recognizing over my winter break, and applying them to my life.


These perspectives include:

(1) My body is the vessel for my soul and mind, and I need to take good care of it in order to remain truly healthy. In doing this, the implications are that I will eat better, exercise more, and pay attention to what my body needs.
(2) My mind, while strong, needs to be paced and have breaks. I need to be more aware of when I am getting overwhelmed and stressed. I will aim for more restful sleep, less time on social media, and more time doing yoga, meditating, and journaling.
(3) My friends are incredible and deserve more of my time and energy than I give them. I will spend more time truly present with my friends.
(4) School is my top priority in preparing me, mentally, for all that is to come. I will focus more when I study and try to maintain a consistent study schedule.

In taking perspectives instead of making resolutions, I hope to work on myself every day in new ways. Until the new year, wishing you the best!

Comments

Popular Posts