My Favorite Foods, and How to Eat Them

Food is probably one of my favorite things to talk about, next to actually introducing people to my favorite foods. I am totally guilty of having people food and saying, "Just try this" without explanation of what they are about to try... A majority of the time, they end of liking it though.

Flax Chia Seed Blend
In order to talk about Flax Chia Seed blend (which I fondly shorten to flax), I first must give a shout out to Trader Joe's carries the blend that I use in particular.

Flax Chia Seed blend is probably one of my favorite foods ever. I put flax in almost anything I can, from muffins to cookies to smoothies to my morning oatmeal. Since I have digestive problems, the added fiber from flax helps to normalize my otherwise problematic digestive system. It also is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for a healthy metabolism. It's generally flavorless, but can add texture depending on what you add it into. For example, the chia seeds in the blend that I use help to give my smoothies a thicker, gelatinous texture that actually helps to keep me full longer.
Breakfast of Champions:
Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut butter on
Schar's Gluten Free Multigrain bread,
blackberries, flax chia seed blend with greek yogurt,
and a matcha tea latte with soy milk. 

Here are some of my favorite ways to incorporate flax into what I would normally eat:

(1) Put two tablespoons of flax into your yogurt, oatmeal, or smoothies for an extra fiber and protein kick.
(2) Change out an egg for a tablespoon of flax chia seed blend with water for a vegan/low fat twist on cookies and muffins.

Flax is the perfect way to sneak extra fiber into people's diet without them even noticing... trust me, you need flax in your life more than you probably think.

Powdered Peanut Butter
I have never been a huge fan of using protein powder, so when I found powdered peanut butter and tried it, here's what I thought. It's perfect for adding a peanut butter flavor to certain recipes without:

(1) adding a ton of fats. I've been aware of fats more now that my dad needs to be on an extremely low saturated fat diet. Since I'm in a household that LOVES peanut butter, powdered peanut butter is the perfect substitute.
(2) loads of calories. Peanut butter is typically around 190 calories per two tablespoons, which when you love peanut butter as much as I do, two tablespoons is NEVER enough. Powdered peanut butter is the perfect fix at 60 calories per two tablespoons, which I mix with around 5 oz. (a little more than 0.5 cups) of plain, Chobani greek yogurt when I need a high protein peanut butter fix.
(3) a lot more chemicals than just peanuts. Peanut butter that is processed can have all sorts of chemicals added to it to give it smooth creaminess and to ensure that it doesn't separate. I personally try to use natural nut butters (Justin's Vanilla Almond Butter being my favorite) to prevent adding unnecessary chemicals into my diet).
(4) getting odd textures. Adding peanut butter to a recipe to give it that nutty flavor can sometimes (in my experience) change the texture of the recipe, especially with muffins and cookies. Powdered peanut butter (with a little bit of water) can add that same flavor without changing the texture of your recipe.

Kale
Egg Burritos:
Two eggs seasoned with pepper,
Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb
Cheese Wedge spread on two corn tortillas
topped with kale.
I started eating kale after reading the article, How to Eat like Beyoncé for 7 Days, because who doesn't want to try out something that Beyoncé loves? A lot of people eat kale dried as a chip substitute, but I personally love using it fresh in smoothies, salads, and even with my eggs. I recently even tried kale based pizza crust (with four ingredients and an incredible taste, it's my new go-to college meal).

Kale is high in vitamin K and is also a great source of protein and iron. I personally love eating kale whenever I can, because the more kale I eat, the better my runs and workouts feel (most likely a result of the nutrient rich leaves)!

Matcha
Matcha is one of the more unique foods that I introduce people to.

Matcha is actually used ceremonially in many cultures depending on the grade of matcha (the grade is, what I understand, to be the level of refinement). The highest grade matcha is used in ceremonies, whereas lower grades are used in lattes (which many of you have probably already had). In my opinion, matcha has a great taste with steamed milk especially if you love green tea like I do. Matcha itself is the entire green tea leaf broken down (for lack of better terms) so that you reap all the benefits from the leaf, especially in terms of how it releases caffeine into your body. I personally like my matcha with steamed soy milk, but some people have even used it in different ice cream and macaron recipes. I am currently attempt to switch matcha brands (the one I currently use is too high in sugar), so if you really adore your brand, please let me know!

Let me know what you think of my favorite foods. Until then, wishing you the best!

Comments

Popular Posts