Journey to the Himalayas: Sunday Journal #1

At this point, the notion of spending 4 WHOLE MONTHS away from everything I've ever known has finally set in. 

A lot of people have requested that I keep them updated with how my trip is going, so I've decided to dedicate a Sunday night blog post to talking about my trip, doing a recap of my week [hopefully, Wi-Fi permitting...].

This is Day 1: if you're reading this, it's probably too late. I'm on my way to Delhi! So in this post, I'm going to tackle some of the most common questions about my trips.

Question 1: Wait, where are you going?

I am going to the Himalayan Mountains in Mussoorie, India and studying at the HANIFL Center, a nature center and international school. Essentially, I will be in Northern India in Uttarakhand, around Dehradun.

Question 2: What is the weather going to be like there?

From what I've heard, we will be arriving during the onset of monsoon season - so very, very rainy. The temperatures can range from freezing temperatures to very hot temperatures. Essentially, it could go from winter to summer like temperatures all in the span of four months.

Question 3: How do you pack for that?

You pack conservatively (both in quantity and the actual quality of the clothes), and like you're going on a 4 month hike.

Question 4: ...so how do you pack for that.

I'm predominantly bringing loose-fitting, long sleeve crewneck t-shirts (5), t-shirts (3), a flannel, sweaters (2), and blouses (2).  In terms of pants, I'm bringing leggings/running pants (4), sweatpants (1), jeans (1), harlem pants (1), and flowly pants (1). I also plan to bring three sets of exercise clothing (running pants and a short sleeve t-shirt/tank top), as well as 1 dress for special occasions.

Most importantly, I'm bringing LAYERS. Two fleeces, a rain jacket, a light-weight windbreaker, a thermal hat, gloves, scarves (3)... and lots of wool socks.

So many wool socks.

For this trip, it is pertinent that I purchase clothing locally once I arrive. Purchasing local goods acclimates you to the social norms of dress and earns you respect in some areas, and ensures you are dressed suitably for the culture.

So essentially, I packed for a 4 month hike and plan on buying fashionable clothing upon my arrival.


Question 5: Are you getting credit for this trip? What classes are you taking?

While the experience I will be having is incredible, I actually get college credit for it as well! I am taking 5 classes (15 courses). I will be taking:

Hindi Language
Independent Study, Mountains and Medicine
Tribal Identity in the Himalayas
Tibetan Culture and the Tibetan Diaspora
Himalayan Geography

Essentially, I will be learning about the culture in Tibet and Northern India through these courses, going on hikes, completing a homestay, probably struggling to learn Hindi, and learning about ayurvedic medical practices... cool right? All but my course in Hindi language will count towards my Anthropology degree.

Question 6: Are you excited?

This is my first opportunity to leave the East Coast of the United States, so needless to say, YES!

Question 7: Are you nervous?

Surprisingly, no. I'm nervous that I will end up getting sick at some point (which is inevitably honestly), but other than that, I'm completely calm.

Here's why.

I understand that I will be shocked. I will be anxious and stressed at some points, and elated and joyous at others. I will be tired, I will be re-energized. I will encounter loss, beauty, poverty, and life. I understand that this trip will be new, and I will feel so many things, and I have come to befriend these feelings and embrace all they can provide me with in terms of learning.

I am not nervous because I know that I will leave this trip grateful for learning something, no matter what it is.

Question 8: Okay, so then what do you feel other than excited?

I feel like I'm crazy, honestly!

I keep thinking to myself, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???"

I am leaving everything and everyone I know for four months, to go out of the country for the first time, and study Tibetan culture in the middle of the Himalayan Mountains during monsoon season.

The farthest I've ever been is Florida before this.

I've never been camping before.

I don't just feel like I'm crazy, I am crazy.

Most commonly asked question: ...but why?

Every couple months, I set a new mantra or goal for myself. For example:

Spring 2016: Seize the day.
Summer 2016: Question what you know, learn what you don't.
Fall 2016: Strive for contentment now, not later.
Spring 2017: Getting comfortable with change.

My goal for Fall 2017 is getting comfortable with being uncomfortable.

New city. Some familiar people in an unfamiliar place. Studying unfamiliar things, eating unfamiliar food. New sights, new smells, new smiles - it's really the biggest leap of faith I have ever taken in my life.

When I was younger, my parents were concerned about why I seemed like such an anxious kid. A counselor suggested I may have transition anxiety, or problems with transitioning and changing my routines.

I still struggle with adjusting to a new normal, even at the age of 20. Transitions are never easy, and that's why this journey is so important to me.

My trip will be unlike anything I have ever experienced. I'm excited. I'm a little crazy for trying. But I am so very ready. I have no choice but to get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Let me know any other questions you have for me in the upcoming weeks - I will answer them in my blog post next Sunday!

Best til next,

Kelly


Comments

Popular Posts